It’s so important to the Republican Party to:
- Repeal Obamacare (they’ve tried more than 52 times!).
- Freeze the minimum wage at $7.25 (forcing taxpayers to subsidize corporations whose employees require food stamps).
- Repeal the estate tax on billionheirs.
- Thwart gun safety measures even NRA members support.
And of course, make it more difficult for certain people to vote.
It’s so important to the Democratic Party to:
- Repeal the filibuster so we can . . .
- Enact HR1 to restore voting rights (here’s what that bill would do).
- Reverse ever-increasing inequality (that leads to economic and social collapse — see Nick Hanauer).
- Put millions to work revitalizing our infrastructure.
- Enact comprehensive immigration reform (of the type the Senate passed 68-32 in 2013).
And, of course, empower the citizens of Washington, DC (“no taxation without representation!”).
McConnell ‘s commitment to gridlock-when-a-Democrat-holds-the-White-House has needlessly dragged the country down, like ankle weights on a marathoner. (Separately, his appalling disregard for fairness has allowed the minority to stack the Supreme Court in its favor.)
There’s almost enough support to break his stranglehold the rule — More Democrats join the effort to kill the filibuster as a way of saving Biden’s agenda — but not quite.
Here are a few possible face-savers to help Senators Manchin and Sinema take the leap:
- It’s an emergency! When so many people are hurting, it’s in the national interest to act.
- Make it temporary. A rule change that will “sunset” at the end of 2022.
- Apply the change only to bills that enjoy wide-majority public support.
- Allow a “talking filibuster” (where senators actually have to filibuster) for up to two weeks, so senators have more time to hear from the public and/or reach compromise.
Have a great weekend!
Quote of the Day
Everyman is guilty of all the good he didn't do.~Voltaire
Request email delivery
- Oct 19:
Barney, Chris, and Rudy
- Oct 18:
We Are In Good Hands
- Oct 14:
Pessimism: Meet Optimism
- Oct 13:
Plants Of The Gods
- Oct 10:
Why I’m Not Leaving America
- Oct 8:
A Letter From The Mayor Of Milford
- Oct 7:
He May Cure Your Diabetes AND Be A Great Mayor
- Oct 5:
- Oct 4:
The Conservative Case For $4 Trillion
- Oct 1:
- Oct 19: