It’s so important to the Republican Party to:
- Repeal Obamacare (they’ve tried more than 52 times!).
- Freeze the minimum wage at $7.25 (forcing taxpayers to subsidize corporations whose employees require food stamps).
- Repeal the estate tax on billionheirs.
- Thwart gun safety measures even NRA members support.
And of course, make it more difficult for certain people to vote.
It’s so important to the Democratic Party to:
- Repeal the filibuster so we can . . .
- Enact HR1 to restore voting rights (here’s what that bill would do).
- Reverse ever-increasing inequality (that leads to economic and social collapse — see Nick Hanauer).
- Put millions to work revitalizing our infrastructure.
- Enact comprehensive immigration reform (of the type the Senate passed 68-32 in 2013).
And, of course, empower the citizens of Washington, DC (“no taxation without representation!”).
McConnell ‘s commitment to gridlock-when-a-Democrat-holds-the-White-House has needlessly dragged the country down, like ankle weights on a marathoner. (Separately, his appalling disregard for fairness has allowed the minority to stack the Supreme Court in its favor.)
There’s almost enough support to break his stranglehold the rule — More Democrats join the effort to kill the filibuster as a way of saving Biden’s agenda — but not quite.
Here are a few possible face-savers to help Senators Manchin and Sinema take the leap:
- It’s an emergency! When so many people are hurting, it’s in the national interest to act.
- Make it temporary. A rule change that will “sunset” at the end of 2022.
- Apply the change only to bills that enjoy wide-majority public support.
- Allow a “talking filibuster” (where senators actually have to filibuster) for up to two weeks, so senators have more time to hear from the public and/or reach compromise.
Have a great weekend!
Quote of the Day
Capital is dead labor, which, vampire-like, lives only by sucking living labor, and lives the more, the more labor it sucks. --Karl Marx Capital as such is not evil; it is its wrong use that is evil. Capital in some form or other will always be needed. -- Gandhi~Gandhi
Request email delivery
- Jul 27:
Newsweek: Teachers Union Has Become A Public Menace
- Jul 26:
Moses . . . R.I.P.
- Jul 23:
PRKR, COVID, CLIMATE, AND MORE!
- Jul 22:
Macron and Maddow
- Jul 21:
Field Of Dreams
- Jul 20:
Waste Not, Want Not; A Truly Great Man
- Jul 17:
Kids, COVID, and IKEA
- Jul 15:
The Kremlin Leak . . . WOW.
- Jul 15:
Carl Feels Like A Lobster
- Jul 14:
Lobsters Have 10 Feet
- Jul 27: