You know how some people love humanity but not people? Well, with lawyers I’m the reverse. I love them one-on-one; many of my best friends are lawyers. But taken together as a throng . . . well, I’ve long thought we may have too many of them.
Whatever your take on this, I suspect you may find overlawyered.com engaging.
Quoting now directly from the teasers for recent highlights:
- Oops! Calif. Gov. Gray Davis accepts a single eagle feather as a ceremonial token of Indian leaders’ esteem, but possession of even a single quill from a protected bird can send you to prison under federal law (Sept. 11-12)
- New York millionaire defendant Abe Hirschfeld hands out checks of $2,500 each to jurors who decline to convict him on tax fraud charges: was it reasonable doubt, or was it the miles? (Sept. 13)
- Michigan appeals panel finds flamboyant attorney Geoffrey Fieger engaged in “truly egregious” misconduct when he “insinuated, outrageously, and with no supporting evidence” that a doctor “‘abandoned'” his patient “to engage in a sexual tryst with a nurse.” (Sept. 14)
- Michael and me: radical filmmaker Michael Moore vigorously presses charges against ex-employee who, taking a leaf from the methods by which Moore himself won fame, follows him around with a video camera and disrupts his public appearances (Sept. 16)
- Slow down, it’s just a fire: Canadian court is latest to strike down physical fitness tests for firefighters as overly demanding and thus unfair to women (Sept. 17-19)
- Sting operation charges blind Seattle news dealer with selling cigarettes to underage buyer (Sept. 16)
- Charting the vast rise in issuance of law degrees since the 1960s (Sept. 20)
Plus: Don’t you dare hug that hurt or crying child . . . Don’t expect money (even in Philadelphia!) if you get drunk and climb a high-voltage tower . . . and more.
It’s all at overlawyered.com.
Quote of the Day
To some, the glass is half full. To others, half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.~unattributed
Request email delivery
- Jun 1:
Listen To Bobby. Listen To Trevor.
- May 29:
- May 28:
- May 27:
- May 26:
- May 25:
- May 23:
Every So Often There’s A Column You Just Have To Read
- May 22:
Have A Great Long Weekend
- May 21:
Two Things To Keep Strongly In Mind
- May 20:
The World’s Stupidest Version Of A Discussion
- Jun 1: