But first . . .
IT’S ALMOST TIME TO FILE YOUR INCOME TAX EXTENSION
Oh, sure – lord it over me. You’ve already done your taxes. You’ve already got your refund! Well, that just means you’re too organized. For many of us, April 15 means only one thing: Form 4868, the automatic four-month extension to file. (I can proudly say I have never had to mess with Form 2868, which is the application for yet a second extension, to October 15th, but which the IRS is not so quick to grant.)
Of course, the extension to file is not an extension to pay. If you don’t send in enough dough with your extension to cover your tax bill, there will be penalties and interest when you finally do file (so the safe thing to do is overestimate a bit and then just accept a refund of the difference).
But for those who need an extension to August 15 – maybe your printer died so you can’t print your tax return, maybe the dog ate your ink cartridge – you can now do it by phone, toll free – 888-796-1074 – provided only that you filed a return for 2001 or 2000.
You even get a confirmation number to prove that you made the call. And if you need to send in $$$, that can be done by authorizing the IRS to suck it out of your bank account. (There are ways to pay your tax by credit card, too, but don’t – you’ll typically pay 2.5% extra to do it, not to mention any interest you incur on your balance. The frequent-flier miles are not worth that much.)
And now . . .
WHY GEORGE SOROS WORRIES ABOUT GEORGE BUSH
[‘Removing Mr. Hussein is a good thing, yet the way Mr. Bush is going about it must be condemned. America must play a more constructive role if humanity is to make any progress.’] Click here.
WHY A MARINE, OF ALL PEOPLE, AGREES WITH MICHAEL MOORE
[‘To be blunt, my personal feeling on the invasion of Iraq is that George W. Bush and his colleagues have instigated an environment of violence and as a result my children will have to grow up in a nation where random acts of terrorism are common place.’] Click here.
WHY DENNIS MILLER THINKS IT’S NOT SO COMPLICATED
Quoting him, in part (except that it turns out this is NOT Dennis Miller, after all – oops! – but could have been – A.T.):
1) Between President Bush and Saddam Hussein . . . Hussein is the bad guy.
2) If you have faith in the United Nations to do the right thing, keep this in mind: they have Libya heading the committee on human rights and Iraq heading the global disarmament committee. Do your own math here.
3) Saddam and bin Laden will not seek United Nations approval before they try to kill us.
4) Even if you are anti-war, you are still an ‘infidel’ and bin Laden wants you dead, too. If you believe in a ‘vast right-wing conspiracy,’ but not in the danger that Hussein poses, quit hanging out with the Dell Computer dude.
5) We are trying to liberate them. He is trying to kill us.
6) Whether you are for military action or against it, our young men and women overseas are fighting for us to defend our right to speak out. We all need to support them without reservation.
Yes, we do. I don’t think anyone is arguing that point. Still, when you contemplate the reservations expressed by George Soros and that ex-Marine, above . . . or when you read stories about young marines like this one . . . you wish there had been another way.
Quote of the Day
There they go. I must follow them. I am their leader.~Gandhi
Request email delivery
- Apr 23:
Two Views Of Trump
- Apr 20:
Billy Is Such A Tool
- Apr 18:
In Search Of Common Ground
- Apr 17:
- Apr 16:
Be Audacious Tonight — 8pm Eastern, 5pm Pacific
- Apr 15:
Doctors And Patriots Versus My Friend Paul
- Apr 12:
Davd Leonhardt On Climate Change
- Apr 11:
Tax The Rich?
- Apr 10:
270 Or Bust
- Apr 9:
It Took 99 Years, But H.L. Was Right
- Apr 23: