So I had that little Valentine’s Day comment about two consultants dating. It brought forth unto my e-mail this wonderful Letterlist from a consultant at Andersen Consulting, who got it from a guy at Goldman Sachs — I wish I knew where it actually began, because I’d like to give proper credit. But whoever penned it clearly knew whereof he/she spoke.
(What’s a Letterlist? You mean you’re never awake at midnight, eleven Central, watching CBS? Dave doesn’t call them that, but surely he’s earned a dictionary entry.)
Top Ten Ways To Know You’re Dating A Consultant:
- Referred to the first month of your relationship as a “diagnostic period.”
- Talks to the waiter about process flow when dinner arrives late.
- Takes a half-day at the office because, “Sunday is YOUR day.”
- Congratulates your parents for successful value creation.
- Tries to call room service from the bedroom.
- Ends any argument by saying, “Let’s talk about this off-line.”
- Celebrates anniversary by conducting a performance review.
- Can’t be trusted with the car — too accustomed to beating up rentals.
- Valentine’s Day card has bullet points.
- Refers to lovemaking as a “win-win.”
* * *
Ah, but what if you fall in love with the Dogs of the Dow rather than a management consultant? Come back Monday.
Quote of the Day
I was getting into my car, and this chap says to me, ‘Can you give me a lift?’ I said, ‘Sure. You look great, the world's your oyster, go for it.’~Tommy Cooper
Request email delivery
- Feb 17:
Long-Weekend Reading: The Compelling Nonpartisan Case For A Boycott
- Feb 15:
Coats: We Are Under Attack
- Feb 14:
The Rabbi’s Hat
- Feb 13:
TED’s Playlist for a Long Life
- Feb 12:
Pre-Empting The October Surprise
- Feb 9:
The Least Worst — and Six Trends For 2018
- Feb 8:
My Friend Wrote A Book; WheelTug Signed SunExpress
- Feb 6:
The Market. But First, Humor.
- Feb 6:
Progress — Even In Mississippi
- Feb 4:
YOU Get $930! And YOU Get $930!
- Feb 17: