Yesterday I made the case for index funds — stock-market mutual funds that typically outdo most others because they typically have no sales fees, very low expenses and (yesterday’s point) high “tax efficiency.” They don’t sell often, so they incur relatively few taxable gains.
The problem is they’re boring. No chance of bonanza, just your plodding old 34% annual return. (Well, last year may not have been typical.)
So here’s my plan. Vanguard and the rest should offer an “index-plus” fund. It would invest 99% of your money just as now. The remaining 1% — still millions of dollars — would be put toward a lottery, like the Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstakes. You probably wouldn’t win, but you could dream.
Tomorrow: Retailers as Showrooms
Quote of the Day
To think that distasters only happen to someone else is human nature. But, when human nature runs into mother nature, regret normally follows.~CBS hurricane specialist Bryan Norcross
Request email delivery
- Feb 22:
Corruption On A Scale Never Previously Imagined
- Feb 21:
What A Field!
- Feb 20:
And Yet You Still Don’t Turn The Lights Off When You Leave The Room
- Feb 19:
Power Walking With Chris Christie
- Feb 18:
The Inspiration YOU Need?
- Feb 15:
NYC. UK. Canada.
- Feb 14:
If Republican Officials Go To Prison . . .
- Feb 13:
The National Butterfly Center Is Taking A Stand
- Feb 12:
Home-Schooled For Christ. And Pence.
- Feb 11:
Russian TV Thanks The GOP (And Don’t Miss Bill Maher)
- Feb 22: