Sam Kahn: ‘I know this won’t fly as a submission to the Value Investors Club you wrote about last week, but my favorite recommendation is to buy mutual funds managed by [differently-beautiful] women. Women still have to work harder than men to be successful and [differently-beautiful] women have to work even harder than that. I usually don’t find what I need in a prospectus, but with a little research (sometimes it’s a judgment call), this has worked for me.’
☞ Differently-beautiful was not exactly the adjective Sam used, but everyone is beautiful in some way – especially if they’re earning you better than average returns on your money.
- Bob Stally: “Forbes.com has some good and active message boards, including one for Calton.”
- Ralph: “Re: lowermybills.com, you should check out abtolls.com and ecglongdistance.com. Either one has lower rates.”
- Last March 14 I told you about some stock picks of a very smart friend. As of Friday they were up, collectively, about 67%. One of them, Jones Apparel (JNY), up 73%, and has also been favored by Warren Buffett. I noticed Friday that some Buffett-controlled entities have recently sold some of their JNY. Since I had it in a retirement account, sheltered from tax, I sold mine as well. This isn’t to say JNY won’t continue to thrive, or even that I’ve interpreted the insider-trading data properly. But you know the old saying about bulls, bears, and pigs.
- Meanwhile, the Great Atlantic & Pacific Preferred J stock (GAJ) suggested here in January at $12 (now $22), paid its regular 58-cent-a-share quarterly dividend again in May, as it did in February . . . leading me, of course, to wish (at least for now, until something terrible happens) that I had bought much more. But there’s an old saying for that one, too – “would’a-could’a-should’a.” Roughly translated: “Get over it!”
- The free books went to a teacher in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
- For more on the vandal scandal – click here.
Quote of the Day
I do count my blessings, but then I end up counting those of others who have more and better blessings, and that pisses me off.~Bob Mankoff New Yorker cartoon caption
Request email delivery
- Nov 24:
- Nov 24:
PRKR OVAL AOC DNC CNF
- Nov 23:
Ralph, Rush, Rupert, Roger . . . GRRRR!
- Nov 20:
The World Is Not Oval
- Nov 19:
Another Man Might Have Been Angry . . .
- Nov 18:
Bless This Day
- Nov 17:
- Nov 16:
Give It Up For Bill Maher
- Nov 13:
Let Hope And History Rhyme
- Nov 12:
And . . . They’re off!
- Nov 24: